Wednesday, March 20, 2013

ADHD and me.

Hello everybody. As I've stated in earlier posts, I did not do too well in high school. I graduated with a 1.81 academic GPA (2.17 weighted with Physical Education which was football). I did not have any skills as a student, I didn't know where to begin going into college. On top of not having any foundation study skills, I have to work 20-30 hours a week while going to college to pay my bills. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about 9 years old and took medication until I was about 11 or 12. The pills helped me stay focused as a child but the side effects weren't ideal. I hadn't taken medication until I got a pill from a friend in the middle of my 2nd year in college. I knew I was a smart kid but I could never focus...

I would study before and after work but my mind would always drift off somewhere else or I would get physically distracted by something. There was very little time to procrastinate if I wanted to be a successful college student, I scheduled an appointment to get tested for ADHD again to receive the medication. Now, this is something that's been on my mind for quite a while. I feel, because I take this medication, that I'm almost cheating. I don't particularly believe in pharmaceutical/prescription drugs but I want to be the best I possibly can.

I wake up every morning with a pill that "magically" gives me the boost I need to start my day as well as the focus I need to push through my early classes. I've always thought back to a certain thought process that I had when I was a young teen, "You gotta do what you gotta do to get where you gotta get."

Whatever you need to do to reach your goals, do it. I feel guilty all the time because I wish EVERYBODY had this pill prescribed because it's such a good thing for studying and school, but I guess I "need" it because I have ADHD which I've also thought is a b*** sh** diagnosis/disease. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on ADHD, I know a lot of people are diagnosed with it every year and I don't know if others feel the same way as me. Have a great day! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment